CVFiber is excited to share that we are seeking to hire a Finance Manager. Details of this opportunity, including instructions to apply, are below.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: November 22, 2023, or until the position is filled.
CVFiber is a Vermont Communications Union District (CUD) that includes 20 towns in Central Vermont. We are building public fiber infrastructure to help ensure that every address with existing electric utility service will have access to affordable, reliable, high-speed broadband Internet. The CUD is funding the building of this critical public infrastructure with various grants, as well as with other funding, including private loans and subscriber revenues. We have just started serving our member communities and celebrated with a ribbon cutting event in October. The overall construction project will require at least $60 million, take at least four years to complete, and require continued engagement from the communities who will be served.
CVFiber is working with key partners including our operator Waitsfield Champlain Valley Telecom, the National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative (NRTC), who provides engineering, project management, construction management, and outside plant services. The Finance Manager will be joining CVFiber’s full-time staff, which includes an Executive Director, Operations Manager, and Community Relations Manager who are overseeing the construction, operations, and marketing of the CVFiber Community Network. CVFiber is overseen by a Governing Board consisting of delegates from each town, and by committees including a Finance & Audit Committee.
This position will be supported by several resources including the Finance Committee which provides oversight, an accounting firm, and a Treasurer. CVFiber has engaged PFM as municipal advisors and Nathan Wechsler and Company as its auditor.
The successful candidate for this position will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced, “startup” environment.
The Finance Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, staff, and accounting firm to develop a budget, manage expenditures, and cash flow and to plan future CVFiber growth and operations. The Finance Manager will provide financial analysis in support of the long-term viability of CVFiber and the accomplishment of its goal of universal high-speed fiber Internet availability to all member towns. Analyses performed by the Finance Manager will provide input into management decisions made by the Executive Director and long-term planning decisions made by the Governing Board, Executive Committee, and Finance & Audit Committee.
A suitable candidate will be passionate about CVFiber’s mission to provide world-class Internet access to rural, underserved communities in Central Vermont.
LOCATION, HOURS, AND COMPENSATION
This year-round, part-time position will work remotely. Weekly hours are estimated at 10 to 20 hours per week.
This position has a flexible schedule; however, evening meetings will be required with some regularity to stay involved with CVFiber’s Board and Committees, who typically meet in the evening.
Compensation will depend on experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Finance Manager will be responsible for:
- Development of the annual Budget in collaboration with the CVFiber staff.
- Budget estimate of anticipated expenditures for the administration of the district.
- Budget estimate of anticipated expenditures for the operation and maintenance of any district communications plant.
- Budget estimate of anticipated revenues from all sources.
- Budget estimate of deficits and surpluses from prior fiscal years.
- Budget estimate of payments due on obligations, long-term contracts, leases, and financing agreements.
- Budget estimate of payments due to any capital or financing reserve funds.
- Budget estimate of payments due to any sinking funds for the retirement of district obligations.
- Budget estimate of such other estimates as the board deems necessary to accomplish its purpose.
- Financial Plan – variance analysis of performance to plan
- Grant funding research and preparation
- Monthly Business Review (MRB) preparation
- Revenue Plan – Analysis of revenue vs plan
- Rolling Financial Forecasting (RFF)
- Quarterly Business Review (QBR) preparation
- Construction Plan – variance analysis of construction miles to plan
- Debt funding research and preparation
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 2 –5 years in finance analyst or accounting role
- Financial analysis
- Proficiency with accounting software, spreadsheets, analytical tools; creation and maintenance of dashboards
- Experience with municipal non-profits
- Familiarity with grants, especially state, federal, and foundation; industry-specific grants such as telecommunications or broadband helpful
- BS or BA in Business or Finance
- CPA is preferred but not required
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and list of four industry references to [email protected]. Please put “Finance Manager Application” in the Subject Line.
For more information about CVFiber see cvfiber.net.
CVFiber is committed to diversity in the workplace, an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on an individual’s race, creed (religion), color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender expression), or sexual orientation. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.