The Governing Board of CVFiber is excited to share that we are seeking to hire our first full-time employee! We are seeking to hire an Executive Director to increase our pace of planning and construction. Details of this exciting opportunity, including instructions to apply, are below. You can also download a PDF version. We look forward to seeing who applies!
CVFiber is a Communications Union District (CUD) municipal organization made up of twenty-one Central Vermont communities. We have a single goal: to make fast, dependable, and affordable internet access available to every address within our member towns. We are currently designing our network, which will consist of approximately 1,200 miles of fiber, and are on track to begin construction in Spring 2022. Construction will be a multi-year process.
About the Position
The Executive Director will provide leadership to CVFiber; be responsible for carrying out strategies and objectives to see the successful development and operation of our community network with our contracted partners; engage and collaborate with our communities, other communication union districts, utilities, organizations, and state government.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated organizational leadership skills and has experience with broadband, telecommunications, or other utilities. This candidate must be a skilled communicator who understands grants and fund raising. This candidate will advance the organization’s visibility, lead the implementation of network services, maintain a sustainable financial strategy, actively manage strategic partnerships, and oversee construction contracts, grant management, and complex projects.
- Work with the Governing Board Executive Committee to develop and execute a strategic plan to advance the CVFiber mission and principles, quality of service, fiscal responsibility, and system reliability.
- Work closely with the participating communities. Be responsible for ensuring high level of community and end user satisfaction.
- Oversee and manage contracted development and operations to ensure production efficiency, quality, service, and cost-effective management of resources.
- Direct activities, either directly or through delegation.
- Ensure business and financial objectives are met by providing leadership and direction for all lines of business. Be responsible for detailed budget preparation in collaboration with the Finance Committee.
- Implement operating procedures to comply with evolving state and federal regulations.
- Interpret and implement objectives and directives adopted by the Governing Board.
- Serve as the CVFiber liaison with regulatory agencies, legislative bodies, industry associations, and media as appropriate.
- Evaluate new business opportunities for continued development and expansion.
- Update Governing Board Executive Committee on CVFiber’s financial status and operating issues as appropriate.
- Ability to cultivate and manage relationships with a wide range of people, including the Governing Board Executive Committee, funding organizations, volunteers, donors, contractors, and external organizations.
- Strong experience initiating and overseeing multi-phase projects to completion, including experience leading, managing, and coordinating teams of multiple contractors.
- Knowledge of broadband, telecommunications, or utilities industries. Specific experience with fiber deployment is a plus.
- Ability to prepare and manage a budget, working in concert with the Governing Board Finance and Executive Committees.
- Direct experience seeking, developing, and managing grants to support growth from government funders.
- Proven strategic problem-solving skills in a changing business or regulatory environment.
- Availability to attend periodic evening committee and Governing Board meetings.
- Familiarity and comfort with technical and project management tools for planning, execution, procurement, and multi-million-dollar budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree, or equivalent work experience.
- Start Date: Immediate
- Job Type: Full-time employee
- Location: Work remotely. Flexible/work from home. Multiple locations and field work. Visits and Zoom/Teams meetings with contractors to cultivate and maintain relationships are essential.
- Compensation: $100,000-$120,000, commensurate with experience.
- Benefits: Paid vacation time, medical coverage.
- Schedule: Flexible hours, periodic evening availability, availability during outage conditions.
- Reports to: Governing Board Executive Committee
To apply, send resume and cover letter detailing your interest and vision in this position to [email protected]. Resumes sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
CVFiber is committed to diversity in the workplace, an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s race, creed (religion), color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex (including gender expression), or sexual orientation. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.